Content

Friday, August 26, 2011

Little things

I made a new friend this week. Morning or evening, I see her on my route to the metro. She's my main supplier for the apartment. Her clothes show the slight wear that comes from careful preservation over years of use but her smile is as fresh as the flowers she sells."Cinci lei, cinci lei" she says showing me this week's colorful batch from the garden. During our short conversations I usually tumble through Romanian (Good morning! How much? This one please. Thank you. See you next time.) What the language barrier can't block is the sharing of a smile. Mine coming from admiration at someone who is so kind and hard working. Hers warm and bright, revealing a map of soft wrinkles.

Yesterday she totally had my back. When I stopped to buy flowers another vendor started bagging prunes for me to buy (I did not want or ask for prunes). As I started to hesitate in Romanian, feeling like I should just buy the prunes. She looked at me and silently signaled "no" while the prune vendor's back was turned. There it was, the little confidence boost I needed. "Nu, multumesc frumos" came out clear and firm. I took my flowers and said goodbye; this time I couldn't stop smiling.
This week I bought Catalin flowers and he surprised me by coming home with a book. I love that my future husband surprises me with books.
*Note: The journalist in my is grossly aware that A) I do not yet know this woman's name, and B) I don't have a photograph of her for you to see. These things will come hopefully in the form of a small project. Thanks for your patience.


0 comments:

My story:

Girl meets boy.
Love strikes.
Boy moves to Romania,
girl (now engaged) follows suit.

I'll be living abroad for the first time in my life beginning January 11th 2011. Follow this blog if you want to see my adventures.