Content

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Black Sea in June

Before journeying to the USA to visit family I squeezed in a weekend trip to Vama Veche. This is the hippie place everyone has been telling me about all winter. So did it live up to the hype? Hmm, yes and no. I definitely liked the vibe, there are no snobby vacationistas here, just young people looking to relax. It is a clothing optional, drinking mandatory kind of town. As long as you're not bothering anyone, you can pretty much do whatever you want- including camp out by the sea. So what did we do? Well we ate, drank, swam, danced and slept (repeat!). It was a good time but I also found myself wondering "what are we going to do today?". The answer was simple; nothing. The point of Vama, I eventually came to understand, is to enjoy the simplicity of food, friends, and sea. Don't try to clutter your agenda with activities (an American tendency of mine). Vama is a great weekend getaway from Bucharest but I'd say the shine wears off if you stay longer. For me, two days was just right.
p.s. next time we are totally going to camp out
 
Photo above and below by Catalin Abagiu



0 comments:

My story:

Girl meets boy.
Love strikes.
Boy moves to Romania,
girl (now engaged) follows suit.

I'll be living abroad for the first time in my life beginning January 11th 2011. Follow this blog if you want to see my adventures.