Content

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Going without Watts


Christmas and New Years Ever are around the corner. Usually around this time I am focused on shopping and checking off the gift list. Instead, I've given my two weeks notice, employment ends for me on Dec 17, and compiled a list of things to do before leaving the country. One thing that makes it tough for me to leave is the fact that I'll be putting my student loans on hold. The process is pretty easy I hear; its my inner voice that pesters me," you should be responsible and pay those off asap". There is also the thought that that some of the loans will be accruing interest. Eeek. Addressing the loans situation is the first priority this week, along with cooking for an office party and shopping for each coworker's gift (budget blown).

Enough serious stuff, on to the funny bits in life.

Catalin has been living in Bucharest since August. He's got a cozy little apartment which I've seen from the comfort of my video chat window (google's vchat). One day during one such chat, I asked him if he had a microwave in the apartment. He said no, but that we could get one because microwaves are not that expensive. I then began a thought process that led me to the realization that I had never known a life without a microwave. Literally everyday of my life I've used or seen one used when things needed to be warmed. Kind of bizarre no? Cata grew up without one. So I asked him not to buy one. I want to try not having one for a while, just to see what it is like. Let's see how long I can last.

p.s. Romania's "inexpensive" microwaves start at $100 USD, while in the US they start at $40

****UPDATE: The loan stuff was really easy to handle. Thank goodness


0 comments:

My story:

Girl meets boy.
Love strikes.
Boy moves to Romania,
girl (now engaged) follows suit.

I'll be living abroad for the first time in my life beginning January 11th 2011. Follow this blog if you want to see my adventures.