Content

Thursday, November 4, 2010

You're moving WHERE?




Often, after telling someone that I am moving to Romania I get the impression that they don't know what the heck I'm talking about. Romania? Where is that? I can't judge anyone for not knowing much about the country as I, admittedly, had not heard of it before going to Mizzou (and meeting my future husband).

Since then I've learned some things about Romania that might be of interest (I am by no means an expert though). I can say without a doubt that the Romanian language has similarities with the Spanish language. These are both romance languages, a trait that has helped me greatly as I try to learn Romanian. Another bonus for me is that many Romanians speak English, especially in the capital city of Bucharest; where I will be living. So although I'm going to a completely foreign place, there is hope that I will be able to communicate with others effectively in one language or another!

As you can see from the map above, Romania is far from my hometown of San Antonio, Texas. It shares borders with Serbia, Bulgaria, Hungary and the Black Sea. Although Romania was under communist rule until the late 1980's it is now a democracy. It is also a part of the European Union. I'm looking forward to seeing the remnants of Romania's rich history in person, such as the castles built by Romanian kings and cities older than my own country.

Well that is it for this post. I hope those who were wondering now have a better idea of my future home. If you're still curious, visit the Wikipedia Page for Romania


0 comments:

My story:

Girl meets boy.
Love strikes.
Boy moves to Romania,
girl (now engaged) follows suit.

I'll be living abroad for the first time in my life beginning January 11th 2011. Follow this blog if you want to see my adventures.