Content

Monday, June 6, 2011

Pizza and change

It's been 5 months since I moved to Romania, time for me to reflect on it all before hoping on a plane to visit home. One of the first things I learned when I got to Bucharest was how to use a match to light a gas stovetop. Cata was bowling over laughing as I squealed and jerked my hand away before the flame even caught. One of the most frustrating lessons I had was the loss (at least temporarily) of my full independence. Constantly needing someone else to do or say things for me because (damn!) I don't speak Romanian tested my patience a lot. Sitting at a table where Romanian was being spoken sometimes felt like watching a foreign film without subtitles. But exposure works its magic; slowly my vocabulary grows and my understanding improves. Life has been full of "new", some of it stressful but most of it wonderful.

Today's new thing was something pretty old-- pizza...homemade pizza. I was in charge of the pizza sauce while Cata man-handled the dough. He happened to be wearing his Shakespeare's Pizza t-shirt, perfect!

p.s. Yes that is a wine bottle being used as a rolling pin. Didn't know that was possible did you?! Got that tip from Real Simple magazine (love that thing and kind of miss it).




0 comments:

My story:

Girl meets boy.
Love strikes.
Boy moves to Romania,
girl (now engaged) follows suit.

I'll be living abroad for the first time in my life beginning January 11th 2011. Follow this blog if you want to see my adventures.